State Plan Development Committee
March 23, 2016
2 Ė 4 p.m.
OSCIL, 1944 Warwick Ave, Warwick, RI
Attendance: Ray Bandusky (CAP); Christine Hammond (ORS); Barbara Henry; Margaret Molloy, Council Vice Chair; Lorna Ricci (OSCIL); Jack Ringland, Council Chair.
Guest/Public: Helen Iasimone (OSCIL).
Staff: Rick Costa, Executive Coordinator.
Interpreters: Dorothy Hodge.
1. Welcome and Introductions: Ray Bandusky welcomed everyone. †Self-introductions were made. Quorum present.
2. Committee Membership Status: Kathy Kindelan is taking a medical leave of absence.
3. Approval of March 9, 2016 and March 16, 2016 minutes: previously sent. Minutes were approved as written.
4. State Plan Committee Recommendations to Full Council
∑ Discuss and vote on whether the Council shall designate the Governorís Commission on Disabilities (GCD) as the Designated State Entity (DSE) in the State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) as required by 796c. State Plan Ė (c) Designation of State Entity. A motion was made by Barbara Henry and seconded by Lorna Ricci to recommend to the full Council that the Council designate the Governorís Commission on Disabilities (GCD) as the Designated State Entity (DSE). Motion passed unanimously. For: Ray Bandusky; Barbara Henry; Margaret Molloy; Lorna Ricci; Jack Ringland. Against: none.
∑ Discuss and vote on which option for Amending 16 H 7454 Budget Article 4 Relating to Government Organization to accomplish the transfer from ORS to GCD. The two options were discussed. Lorna Ricci and Ray Bandusky expressed their opinions that Option A would be simpler, dealing with only the GCD responsibilities as the DSE whereas Option B reflects the operation of the SILC and would require a legislative act. A motion was made by Lorna Ricci and seconded by Barbara Henry to recommend to the full Council to support Option A as to simply amend the Commissionís Statute Chapter 42-51 as proposed. Motion passed 3 to 2. For: Ray Bandusky, Barbara Henry; Lorna Ricci. Against: Margie Molloy; Jack Ringland.
5. SPIL Agendas/Timeline: The April 20, 2016 bi-monthly full Council meeting was changed to April 6, 2016 to accommodate the transition process from the current DSU (ORS) to the recommended DSE (GCD). The new time of the meeting will be 2 to 3:45 p.m.
6. List priorities and Unmet Needs Using Reports:
∑ Needs Assessment Surveys and Comparisons: Margie Molloy recommended the following: outreach to under-served areas with information about independent living services and service organizations; transportation; housing options; PCA and home aid services; financial and technical assistance; physical access.
∑ GCD Public Forum: Jack Ringland stated the main issue areas were: employment, education, health care, transportation, community support, and housing.
∑ OSCIL Consumer Satisfaction Reports: Lorna Ricciís finding were how to find and access the following services: general services, community services, heating services, dental services, and eye glasses; transportation advocacy and Ride; inability to locate and fund assistive technology needed; housing options; accessibility; peer support opportunities; self-advocacy assistance; employment; job readiness.
∑ Current SPIL Goals: not reviewed.
∑ Council Strategic Plan and its Relationship to the SPIL: not reviewed.
7. †Develop mission using logic model: previously completed.
8. †Develop main goals using logic model: tabled.
9. Review and assign responsibilities: tabled. †